Dokudami (Houttuynia cordata) is a major constituent of UGCare and a perennial herb peculiar to Japan, Southern China and Korea. It has a lengthy history as a healing agent. It grows mostly in dark, moist areas usually submerged deep in freshwater regions. The leaves are heart-shaped in appearance and used as a garnish for soups, meats and cooked vegetables in Asia.
Outlined are the medicinal/healing capabilities of Dokudami leaf.
1. Immune system support:
Research shows that dokudami supports the immune system by stimulating the production of lymphocytes which are white blood cells that are crucial for the body’s natural defense system.
2. Dokudami leaf reduces inflammation and swelling. Years ago when SARS Pandemic (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) emerged in China, it was selected as one of eight aids to help treat the SARS virus and it successfully did.
3. Protection against harmful organisms: Dokudami promotes intestinal balance by discouraging harmful bacteria from thriving in the digestive system.
4. Powerful antioxidant: This awesome product of nature contains polyphenols which are potent compounds high in antioxidant activity that battle free radicals. Free radicals as their name implies, have a free unpaired electron and are often unstable. They damage other compounds, cells and DNA. Research has linked the negative effects of free radicals to aging, cancer and many other diseases. Dokudami is an excellent free radical scavenger and helps neutralize free radicals from circulating.
5. Effective against allergies & asthma: When you’re allergic to a certain substance, your body produces a compound called histamine which in turn initiates an immune response. Scientists posit that dokudami has inhibitory effects on histamine release by blocking it and reducing its overall effects on the body.
6. In Asia, it is regarded as a ‘’cure-all’’ medicinal herb and if taken internally, it is believed to help with the following: cervical infection, coughing, enteritis, gastritis, infected sores, cystitis, chronic bronchitis, lung abscesses, pharyngitis, snake bites, urinary infections and tumors. If used externally, it can be used for the treatment of abscesses, analgesic, bone growth stimulation, boils, diuretic, snake bites, swellings, hemorrhoids, mild laxative, urinary antiseptic and detoxification.
Kindly note that this list is not exhaustive as more research is still ongoing to unveil the potency of this natural and dynamic curative agent. As more research discoveries are made, relevant updates will be posted on this platform.